Monday 28 January 2013

Hitting and bouncing along the bottom

If ever there was a (perceived) need to make money to survive it would be apparent now. Having done almost no work and had almost no income this year, the cries to get productive are becoming louder and more pressing, internally and externally.

Now if I could say that there were a magnus opus about to pop out of the ether, it would be easier to say, "not now, maybe, but soon." But there is none- just a steep, slippery slope to climb.

Anyway enough of my complaints, suffice it to say that the question that is now being asked is, "Is it reasonable for me to pursue a life of creative endeavour, to do what I like and like what I do?" The answer most people would give to such a question would probably be negative.

So maybe what is really being asked is, "do I have the courage of my convictions, after so many false starts, promising as they may have been, to rely on inspiration to save and sustain me and my family. Do I dare to take the idea that I will be supported in doing what makes me happy to its logical conclusion?" That conclusion feels something less than foregone to me, for once I will be happy to be wrong about it.

My beautiful elder daughter Charlotte, in her quest to get the best degree that she can, has lately become somewhat reclusive and withdrawn. I gave her an assignment, to go out and have fun, to mix more, to nurture the friendships she has and to build new ones. This shouldn't be too testing a task for a lovely 20 year old with perfectly adequate social skills, and a great sense of humour, (Excuse me for digressing here).

She promised me that she would and promptly started to make arrangements to meet up with old and new friends. Later that day she cheekily sent me an assignment, to write something little each week, a blog or something. So this small start is dedicated to her although it is really for me.

Rather than pore over this little piece of writing to make sure it looks lovely and sounds perfect and whoever reads it will be impressed and think I'm really clever and I can write, instead I will just define some of the next steps I will take. Not for your benefit, (clearly) but for my own.

eternity to the ungodly is a night that has no sunrise

I resolve to write something in this or one of my other blogs each week (maybe one day something in each of them). Before the next blog comes out I am also going to revive my newsletter. Although it was always meant to be an occasional newsletter, sadly, its publication has become (ever) more seldom and sparsely sporadic is more aptly descriptive.
The blogs and the newsletter are building to the launch of the new website I'm building. Subscribe to this blog to see what happens next.

No comments:

Post a Comment